State of the Union 2014
President Obama will deliver his sixth State of the Union address tonight at 6:00 p.m. PST, in an attempt to once again rally the nation around his second term agenda, and break through Washington’s partisan gridlock.
But given the political climate, and the upcoming elections, Obama faces an uphill battle, no matter how lofty his rhetoric may be.
We’ll be posting intermittent updates here, but you can watch Obama’s speech, and keep tabs on the nation’s reactions, on Politics Now.
Or, for the historically minded, take a stroll through the most important moments of previous State of the Union addresses.
Calling for a “year of action,” President Obama asked for Democrats and Republicans to work together to aid an improving economy and continue gains made on energy reform.
But if not, Obama has pledged to employ executive actions to push as much of his agenda through as he can.
Obama hopes to capitalize on the division to push other populist elements of what he has labeled his economic inequality agenda. He plans to push Congress to expand unemployment benefits for the long-term jobless and tout new commitments from chief executives of corporations who’d agreed not discriminate against applicants because of extended stretches out of work.
The president intends to speed up implementation of the ConnectEd program, his plan to connect all schools to the digital universe. Aides did not detail how the government would pay for this.
Obama also will create a new “starter savings account” to help people who don’t have 401(k) plans or pensions to save for retirement. An economic advisor said this would involve a new U.S. Treasury product eventually available for purchase on the private market.
Other initiatives would require approval from Congress, if they’re to take effect.
Photos: Kristoffer Tripplaar / Getty Images, Los Angeles Times, Charles Dharapak / Los Angeles Times
- pnwmax likes this
- januarni likes this
- shrek2121 likes this
- the-jojof reblogged this from latimes
- dalaimama69 likes this
- selenyvieira likes this
- 3381967 likes this
- va-gingerbeardman reblogged this from bluntgirl
- va-gingerbeardman likes this
- datbrybreyeguy likes this
- ournadineworld likes this
- cardigansnatcher likes this
- blvxkphxroxh reblogged this from bluntgirl
- stophs reblogged this from latimes
- kamikaze-follower likes this
- ravenous-bastards likes this
- jessicajaymt reblogged this from jolivet
- aitoitami likes this
- ucla-leadershape reblogged this from latimes
- mustangboy823 likes this
- polorvlph likes this
- burndownparis likes this
- koarlyis likes this
- peachiepablo likes this
- aliciadreams likes this
- sparky019821 reblogged this from bluntgirl and added:
- klaineoutbitches reblogged this from keepingthepeaceinouterspace
- niniveandrreitta likes this
- justwatturner likes this
- lunasea-x likes this
- n-e-r-v-e-s likes this
- bluntgirl reblogged this from latimes and added:
- treewoodnews reblogged this from shortformblog
- wrjbokbok likes this
- youradray likes this
- lelouch2156 likes this
- theenvious408 likes this
- danmarsciti likes this
- cyberslu-t likes this
- the1starpower reblogged this from latimes
- ebbasilver likes this
- keepingthepeaceinouterspace reblogged this from shortformblog
- bre-smurffs likes this
- themerovingianway likes this
- freedomshores likes this
- sherlock-mansion likes this
- yadira-c likes this
- cantspascua reblogged this from latimes and added:
- cantspascua likes this