The Dow hit at an all-time high - so who’s benefiting?
Amid all of the excitement about the Dow’s record-setting numbers yesterday, there’s a lingering question: If the Dow’s doing so well, why aren’t most Americans?
L.A. Times columnist Michael Hilzik tackled that question today. He points to the divergence of corporate earnings and workers’ wages as an indication of the strong disconnect between stock market success and the wealth of average Americans.
From 1950 through the 1970s, corporate profits hovered in the range of 5% to 7% of GDP. They dipped as low as 3% in 1986, but since then have staged a long-term ascent that has brought them to 11% today, their highest level since World War II.
The average worker’s share of those profits, in the meantime, peaked at 53% of GDP in 1970, and have been on the decline ever since, hitting 44% last year.
And then there’s this finding:
From 1993 through 2010, according to UC Berkeley economist Emmanuel Saez, the top 1% of income earners captured 52% of all real income growth.
Read more on the gap between Wall Street earnings and your own pocketbook here.
Photo: Richard Drew / Associated Press
- teenagerhere likes this
- ashvameda likes this
- econtacted likes this
- thehappyshinigami reblogged this from latimes
- paris-collage reblogged this from fastcompany
- thegenerationlost reblogged this from greggraffintookmytaco
- keyshiatamar reblogged this from theklr
- theklr reblogged this from latimes
- fairbanks62 likes this
- ffugio likes this
- christineashleytaylor likes this
- peterrauh likes this
- pato12 reblogged this from latimes
- serialthoughtsscatterbrainkiller likes this
- brookelynn1110 likes this
- thedangdynasty reblogged this from latimes
- joemamma206 likes this
- tjdaviss said: Because it is just the beginning duh
- purplegem reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
- purplegem likes this
- problymad reblogged this from thefirstruleis
- thefirstruleis reblogged this from latimes
- ambergerchild likes this
- missmarquitas likes this
- thegrandmother reblogged this from latimes
- elio305 reblogged this from latimes
- senoritafish likes this
- tokeandchoke likes this
- lovers--spit reblogged this from latimes
- ixviimcmxc likes this
- jkreg reblogged this from latimes
- jkreg likes this
- greggraffintookmytaco reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
- greggraffintookmytaco likes this
- maevenotmauve likes this
- travelsofanarchitecturestudent likes this
- jadechang reblogged this from latimes
- jadechang likes this
- optionadmin reblogged this from fastcompany
- futureinnovation19 reblogged this from fastcompany
- wesa reblogged this from beerburritowhiskey
- thekristenshow reblogged this from latimes
- kungpowvoodo said: don’t forget to account for inflation
- werealljustanimals likes this
- kenpooley reblogged this from latimes
- politemusings reblogged this from fastcompany and added:
- mickeymousehasgrownupaclown reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
- sboyar reblogged this from fastcompany
- studio-md likes this