It’s been 96 days since Tunisian fruit vendor Mohamed Bouazizi set himself on fire in protest after his cart was seized by authorities. The Guardian has an interactive timeline tracking the protests, which have since spread throughout the Middle East and north Africa.
The coalition enforcing a no-fly zone over Libya is beginning to fray, as members continue to negotiate over the leadership of the campaign, despite the fact that missile and air strikes began on Saturday. Britain and Italy want NATO command, France and Turkey feel NATO sends the wrong message to the Muslim world and the U.S. just wants to scale back its involvement as quickly as possible.
Airstrikes continue against Kadafi’s forces, most recently in Misurata where his forces have reportedly pulled back while keeping snipers on rooftops, according to residents. Kadafi also made his first public appearance since airstrikes began in an address in Tripoli on Tuesday night.
At least four and as many as six people were killed when Syrian special forces launched an early-morning raid on a mosque in the city of Daraa, the center of anti-government protests. At least 10 have died following a government crackdown on protests for more political freedom and the release of dissidents. The Assad family has been in control of Syria since 1971.
Israel / West Bank / Gaza
A bomb exploded at a bus stop in central Jerusalem Wednesday morning, wounding at least 25 people. It was the city’s first bus bombing in several years. In Gaza, militants fired rockets into southern Israel, continuing an ongoing exchange of rocket and mortar fire at the border, which killed four in Gaza a day earlier.
Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh said on Tuesday he would step down before his term ends in 2013. He originally rejected the same offer two weeks earlier, before at least 50 demonstrators were killed and hundreds injured when security forces closed in on protesters Friday. This follows the sacking of the president’s cabinet on Sunday, members of which were already expected to resign over the violent crackdown. If Saleh resigns, however, some, including the U.S. and Saudi Arabia, worry about what would come next.
The government announced that it would hold municipal elections — the second ever in the country — on April 23. Women will not be allowed to vote.
The Bahraini government tore down the central monument of Pearl Square on Friday, after a crackdown on protesters and arrest of opposition figures. The protesters had used the square as a rallying point.
Map reblogged via soupsoup:
Really impressive work here by the Guardian
test reblogged from soupsoup
- en-eg reblogged this from soupsoup
- leftygingaswag likes this
- xooper likes this
- welcometomylifeandy likes this
- wedietogetherforever likes this
- niv-sh likes this
- nellabong likes this
- fightingscholarlykrogan likes this
- fightingscholarlykrogan reblogged this from gazetaoriental
- gazetaoriental reblogged this from soupsoup
- gazetaoriental likes this
- arbogasm likes this
- cayloody87 likes this
- what-about-cats likes this
- pooradley likes this
- scaryhour likes this
- bananachocolatemuffin reblogged this from soupsoup
- bananachocolatemuffin likes this
- konjorn reblogged this from soupsoup
- jeobunny likes this
- thesewingghost likes this
- a-holistic-perspective likes this
- dominantbenny likes this
- figmental-consciousness likes this
- okdane reblogged this from soupsoup
- j0midnight reblogged this from soulsinsync
- j0midnight likes this
- tofuadverb likes this
- hyperactivetardis reblogged this from skinofflikelightning
- skinofflikelightning reblogged this from thefictionthief
- thefictionthief reblogged this from soulsinsync
- soulsinsync reblogged this from soupsoup
- calmunderthestars likes this
- augustari reblogged this from soupsoup
- izzie-carter likes this
- the-road-not-taken88 reblogged this from soupsoup
- newyorkcityskinny likes this
- christy0419 likes this
- ranahyehia likes this
- dude-rad likes this
- writingcapital likes this
- black-footed likes this
- roberta-sparrows-daughter likes this
- flowsweetlywoodnote reblogged this from soupsoup
- soupsoup posted this