In a world of change, dancing puppets still delight: The Bob Baker Marionette Theater near downtown L.A. remains a magical place even as demand for its offerings has dimmed.
Still, inside the theater, the same old music from decades gone by continues to play under the same chandeliers. Puppeteers dressed in black still step out toward the audience, lit by lights from the long-gone Philharmonic Auditorium.
People come in who first came as children. They bring their children or even their grandchildren. They find a world extraordinarily close to the one they remember, not markedly altered by time.
No such happy ending’s yet in view for the venerable theater, which is mortgaged to the hilt and in arrears on taxes.
Check out more photos from the puppet show.
Photos: Nathan Palat, 5, gets an up-close look as puppeteer Adrian Rose controls her marionette during a performance of “Halloween Hoop-de-Doo” at the Bob Baker Marionette Theater near downtown Los Angeles. Credit: Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times
- joalonso95 likes this
- ecemkeskin1998 reblogged this from latimes
- angileeshah reblogged this from latimes and added:
- fransiscotwelve likes this
- thissmmodernllove likes this
- euripideanrondo likes this
- shibatakedown reblogged this from latimes and added:
- i-am-the-patient reblogged this from latimes
- thisisyy likes this
- thesoulthescreen likes this
- marusk likes this
- thecyclistmanifesto likes this
- caralunaa likes this
- christinearia likes this
- livingleft likes this
- goodjobfrousa likes this
- always-tete likes this
- pepinobuena reblogged this from latimes
- pepinobuena likes this
- daydreamntn reblogged this from latimes
- daydreamntn likes this
- thevalidfallacy reblogged this from latimes
- thevalidfallacy likes this
- himoonie likes this
- your-nibs likes this
- justinenguyen likes this
- 7suarezf reblogged this from latimes
- cuteinacoffin likes this
- joanang likes this
- random-finds likes this
- noelanthony likes this
- calvingoestogotham likes this
- itsjonvu likes this
- vargkilleddio likes this
- latimes posted this