Trustees of all-male college try to block admission of women: Deep Springs College, an all-male school north of Death Valley, plans to admit women next year for the first time in its 95-year history. But two trustees are attempting to block the change.
In legal paperwork filed in Inyo County Superior Court, two college trustees who want the 28-student campus to remain all-male asked a judge to stop the school from admitting women in fall 2013. Those critics contend that enrolling women would violate the campus’ founding trust and original mission to educate “promising young men” in a setting that combines the liberal arts with such physical work as baling alfalfa and milking cows.
[…] Deep Springs is a tuition-free two-year college from which many graduates transfer to Ivy League universities.
Photo: The student government meets at Deep Springs College in 2004. The school north of Death Valley plans to admit women for the first time in 2013. Credit: Spencer Weiner / Los Angeles Times
- carolina150 likes this
- kcet likes this
- tbarajas likes this
- readingsubculture likes this
- catedrals likes this
- christinarants reblogged this from latimes and added:
- dukedesilver likes this
- reneesian likes this
- digitalhearts likes this
- ikaraboutyou reblogged this from latimes and added:
- meronsays likes this
- brooklynmutt likes this
- ub14 likes this
- ourbreathinwinter reblogged this from perpetualexhilaration and added:
- perpetualexhilaration reblogged this from latimes and added:
- thepathofwind likes this
- ohitsyou likes this
- fresafresca reblogged this from latimes
- araceliespi reblogged this from latimes
- latimes posted this